Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mommy's Break #4

True or False?
As a child I would hear my Mamaw and my Mom talk about doing and not doing things at certain times because of the signs on the Almanac calendar, the weather or because of something else. I never really paid a lot of attention to those things until I got older. I am sure that some of you have heard some of the same things and wondered if they are true or false. I am going to share a few of the things that I have found to be true or false. The outcome will surprise you I think.
  • Breaking your baby from the bottle when the almanac signs are in the waist:
I did try to break Kaleigh before the signs were right and had little success. I then waited until the signs were in the waist and had no problem what so ever. So in my book this is TRUE.


  • Making fudge when it rains will not set up and will turn grainy:
I have tried to make every type of fudge when it is raining. It never sets up and it turns grainy every time. This one…..TRUE.


  • Having teeth pulled when the almanac signs are in the bowels:
This is one that I have heard over and over in my lifetime. I have never had to have any teeth pulled but my ex-husband made an appointment to have his wisdom teeth pulled out. I looked on the calendar to see where the signs were going to be that day and they were going to be in the bowels. I told him to change his appointment because my Mamaw always said that if the signs were in the bowels and you had teeth pulled that you would set up dry socket. He laughed at me and made fun of the fact that we follow the signs on the almanac calendar. He kept the appointment and had all four wisdom teeth pulled. The next day he was in severe pain and went back to the dentist. He had set up dry socket in all four holes. I got my chance to say, “I told you so” and he never second guessed my almanac calendar advice. I think this one is TRUE.


  • Saying” Thank You” to someone that gives you a plant:
My Mamaw wanted a flowering cabbage plant and I found her one. When I gave it to her she told me that she couldn’t say thank you because the plant would die if she did. I had been around her enough to know that she knew what she was talking about. I had to have a hysterectomy and my boss sent me this beautiful plant and when he came to see me I thanked him without even thinking. I babied that plant in every way and I swear within two weeks that plant was dead and there was no bringing it back. Believe me or not but this one is TRUE.


  • Canning while on your monthly cycle:
I have heard this so many times in my life. The first year I had my own garden I was so excited about all the canning I was going to do. I grew so many vegetables and canned everything I could. When it came time to can my tomatoes I was on my monthly cycle but for some reason I forgot all about what I had been told my whole life. I canned thirty-six quarts of tomatoes and the first can I opened was spoiled and I thought it was just a bad jar. Slowly I started opening all the jars and every single one of them was spoiled. This was heart breaking to me and I remembered that I was on my monthly cycle when I canned them. It was a hard lesson to learn but I learned that this is TRUE from my own mistake.


These are just a few fun facts that I have learned and experienced through my life. I hope that you have enjoyed these fun facts and maybe even learned a thing or two. As always, have a great week and I will be back next Tuesday.


Much Love, Vanessa


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your feedback! Comment!